Hey there, I'm back again and this time I have some of the new Primaris scale Space Marines to show off. With my "old" Space Wolves army now fully painted I sold off a bunch of models to fund a new Space Wolves army consisting entirely of Primaris scale models. I was not sure which squad/pack to paint first but after seeing the damage output of a friends newly painted Hellblasters it was clear where I needed to start.
I did a few test models before I started painting the Hellblasters and found my usual wash in the recesses approach was not going to deliver the finish I was seeking. I instead opted to go with the The Fang as a low-light to mark out the recesses then Russ Grey as a mid tone followed by Fenrisian Grey in the foreground to make the large armour plates stand out and then an edge highlight in a 50/50 mix of Fenrisian Grey and Ulthuan Grey.
This was a lot more work than I would normally put into a squad of ten marines but these are no ordinary marines. I wanted each and every component to be given my fullest attention without an access issues so sub-assembly was going to be key. I decided to break the models down as shown above and tackle each component production line style so in the end I could build the Hellblasters to completion.
It quickly became clear that painting a whole squad in sub-assembly was a bit of a leap of faith so I fully built and then painted the squad leader so I had one example of the final end result as reference as I worked through the rest of the models.
Progress was surprisingly quick and before long only the arms and weapons remained and the end was in sight. If I am honest the weapons were the least fun component to paint as they are large and each one has quite a lot of detail.
Its true what GW say about the Primaris scale marines, they are a clean spacious canvas to work on and they really do encourage the use of free-hand details and going that extra mile. I free-handed the details on the left hand pauldrons and then I added a rune to each of the yellow knee pads and the squad leader got some extra detail on his left knee.
Once I was sure everything was painted and sealed it only took me about 30mins to glue the entire squad together to completion. I used a gel superglue as it gives you total control over where the glue goes as any rogue superglue at this late stage would spell disaster.
Tthere are a lot of plasma burned head options in the Hellblaster's box so I wanted to find a Space Wolves head that also showed some level of facial injury. I found this head amongst my Terminator Wolfguard spares and I think it works perfectly to add some extra character to the squad.
I am very happy with the black face plate of the helmets, I think it makes them look more menacing which was something I still wanted despite the paint job being very clean overall.
The leather and bronze details really help break up all of that grey and contrast well with the hi-tech look of the me MKX armour while also staying true to the classic Space Wolves aesthetic.
I do hope you have enjoyed seeing these models as there are so few examples online of the Primaris Space Marines painted in colours outside of the Codex Chapters.
Well thats it for now, thanks as ever for reading and please leave any comments in the comments section down below and please do check back soon for more updates as I will be starting work on my Primaris Inceptors soon.