Thursday, 17 November 2016

Workbench Progress - Mortarion The Death Lord

Hello again, with my Wulfen now finished I literally only had one model still outstanding on my hobby to-do list and that was Mortarian.  My wife bought me Mortarion back in February for my Birthday he has been sitting around built and base-coated ever since.


I managed to dig out some pictures that I took earlier in the year while I was building him.  There were a whole lot of small fiddly bits on this guy like tiny chains and toxic incense canisters.  All these small components made construction almost as big of a pain in the butt as that servo harness on Ferrus Manus.  As with all the primarch models I constructed most of the main model but left a few components apart so they would be easier to paint and in the case of Mortarion these were the cloak and Scythe.


When it came to painting things went very smoothly, the main model was base-coated in Dead Flesh the cloak in Dead White and the Scythe in Gun Metal all from Vallejo's Game Air range.  I was then able to break out the Citadel colours and go in with a brush adding Leadbelcher and Balthazar Gold to all the metallic areas.  I finished up by painting the base in Steal Legion Drab and worked up some highlights using Gorthor and Baneblade Brown followed by Terminatus Stone.  Once all the basecoats and highlights were dry I added a wash of Agrax Earthshade thinned with some Lahmian Medium.  The very last thing I added was the oxidation FX  on the metallics by adding a pin wash of Nihilakh Oxide.






So I am pretty bloody happy with the outcome, things really seemed to come together nicely in the end.  I do wish there was more I could do with the face but the hood and the need to have him look really pale did not give me much scope for ramping up the face detail.  I was worried that the cloak would not work so I took extra care to keep any pooling or uneven staining at bay resulting in an even weathering effect.

And then I went a bit mad on Instagram and used the #paintingforgeworld to see if I can get some of these photo's on the Forge World site.





Well peeps thats it for now and as I write this my new Leman Russ model is waiting to be unboxed on my hobby workbench so you can expect to see some WIP pictures of him very soon.  Don't forget to head over to the new Warhammer Community site as its a one stop shop for all things Games Workshop. This new site will save me a ton of time chasing the new release info and hobby articles across all of their other social media platforms.

As ever thanks for reading and do please check back soon and please leave any comments in the comments section down below.





No comments:

Post a Comment