Sunday, 14 September 2014

Workbench Progress - Fulgrim The Phoenician, The Illuminator

Hey everyone, I managed to get Fulgrim finished this weekend which almost puts me back on track with my Primarch painting project.  Next up is Ferrus Manus who should not take long to finish despite all the tiny bits on account of him being painted mostly in black.


I almost had Fulgrim finished last week but when I checked the photos I could see a few areas that I was not happy with, so I went back and made some changes before re-taking these pix.


I am mostly happy with the finished paint job though I do have a few reservations regarding the oath papers trailing from the back of him as I think they lack detail and were hard to make look interesting.


I airbrushed the cloak which turned out to be a good idea as the shading looks really cool and saved me a load of time blending it old school. 


I had to pin the cloak on in the end with some green stuff and super glue, I also pinned both the sword and the head for maximum strength.


I painted the golden details on the armour with far more luster than I did on Angron as Fulgrim in meant to shine.


There are some nice little details on this model like the pair of daggers on his right hip and a Volkite weapon of some kind holstered on his left.


I am really happy with how the sword turned out and the details seem to hold up to close inspection.  I added a layer of gloss varnish to the gem stones, eyes and mouth to show them up as a different texture. 


The base was airbrushed in about four earthy colours and then I painted the gold and armour details.  I finished it off with a wash in Agrax Earthshade so it would match the base I did for Angron. 


So that's two down and sixteen to go, I will make plans to get Ferrus preped for painting as soon as I have finished my Stormfang Gunship so check back soon for more on that.

As ever thanks for reading, please feel free to leave your comments and any questions you might want answered below.


3 comments:

  1. Amazing work. The shading on the purple is fantastic. Great work on the face. So many details on this model. Great job taking some photos to showcase it. I'm always amazed by how much better everyone makes these models look then the original FW photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers dude, its a very flamboyant model for sure, it was tricky to paint so I am very glad of some positive feedback :)

      It will be cool to have Ferrus and Fulgrim facing off, I will have to magnetise the head on Ferrus :)

      Delete
  2. Wow. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete