It's been a bank holiday weekend here in the UK and I was home alone on account of my Wife being being at Reading Festival so I decided to get my hobby on.
I started working on this model way back in February and everything was going so well right up until GW decided to update all three of my armies with a new codex back to back to back. My plan to spend this year painting Primarchs was put on hold while I worked my way through the units I needed to get in order to bring all my armies in line with their new books.
If you follow this blog you will know that I have been very busy and as a result I have a now completed everything on my workbench apart from my new Stormfang flyer. This means I was able to get back on track and finish the first of my Primarchs.
So without further ado I present to you Angron, The Red Angel and progenitor of the World Eaters Legion.
I bought this kit at Games Day 2013 and kept it on ice until Feb 2014 so I was very glad that everything was in the box and nothing was missing.
With the help of some blu-tack I was able to dry fit the main bulk of the model to get a feel for where things needed to go and what parts would be painted separately prior to final construction. There was no way I was going to paint this model fully built as there is quite a lot of inaccessible detail.
The level of detail on this model is amazing and more than a little intimidating but looking at the Fulgrim kit I can't help but think that this kits construction is hobby level easy in comparison.
I spent a lot of time looking at as many examples of what the community has done with this model and in the end I decided to follow the example of the Forgeworld team and go with a less is more approach. I wanted the armour to look lacklustre as though it had not been cleaned or properly cared for after countless battles in the dust of the arena. The base was inspired by me having read about the battle for Calth and later on the planet Nuceria where Angron carves his way through the ranks of the vengeful 13th Legion looking to challenge his brother Roboute in single combat.
Here you can see the finished model minus the gore.
This guy was destined to get messy.
Thankfully in the time it has taken for me to get back to thing project GW have released and great blood FX paint called Blood for the Blood God which I was able to use to great effect on this model. The armour was a base of Balthasar Gold with a wash of Agrax Earthshade.
With his war-paint on and twin chain axes Gore Father and Gore Child dripping in the blood of the 13th surly only a fool would stand in his way. The leather detail was painted in Khorne Red with Leadbelcher details washed with Agrax Earthshade
I added blood spatter details by flicking paint from a loaded brush making sure that the models face was protected. The face was painted using Bugmans Glow, Cadian Fleshtone and Kislev Flesh with a wash in Agrax Earthshade.
The sense of movement in this model is captured really well by the sculptor Simon Egan you can find out more about how Simon approached this project here.
The fur and chains that make up his cloak turned out looking bad ass. The cloak was painted in a base of Dryad Bark, it was then dry-brushed using Gorthor Brown, Baneblade Brown and Terminatus Stone before being given a wash in Agrax Earthshade.
I decided to paint all of my Primarchs on their 40mm bases and store the rest of the diorama components away so I can return to them at a later date.
Crushed like a but under foot like a bug this son of Ultrama will never fight again, I did my best not to over do the blood and I like to think I got it just about right. I added some cool freehand Roman Numeral details to the armour and some battle damaged Ultramarine iconography to the other pauldron.
The great thing about the Blood FX paint is that you can build it up in layers and it stays looking wet even after it has dried.
Well there you have it my first Primarch all finished and ready to take its place in my cabinet, one down seventeen to go, Fulgrim is next so check back soon for another update.